Monday, November 25, 2019

Restraining my lips

I have been thinking alot about our speech lately. And I have this nagging feeling that I have not been making the best choice of words. Whether is it speaking too much, or not speaking up when I should, being more gentle in my approach, or just enjoying a good gossip. It is subtle. This sin of bad speech. Whether being the one to give or on the receiving end. Either way, I have not been discerning.

So yesterday, as I go through Proverbs 10, I felt really convicted of this sin. I stopped my reading and got down to pray and confess my sin. I woke up this morning meditating on James 3 on how the tongue is a small member, yet it boasts of great things. It can curse or pour forth blessing. Which one have I been doing more lately?

It doesn't have to be outright "you know that who and who is doing that and that?" kind of gossip. It can be comments about others masqueraded as concern and care of their well-being. Or even more deceivingly, their spiritual lives. When in fact, we are just displeased with their way of lives and we want to vent our frustration. Turn the table around, while we do not speak of such matters, we are as guilty when we quietly listen and respond to such speech.

Through Proverbs 10, it speaks of how much the fools talk. Babbling fool, when words are many transgression is not lacking, whoever utters slander is a fool,. The opposite is also clearly stated: whoever restrains his lips is prudent, whoever heeds instruction is on the path to life, the wise lay up knowledge, whoever belittles his neighbor lacks sense but a man of understanding remains silent. And these truth and wisdom just pierce my heart.

While being of few words doesn't mean you will be wise, but speaking without restraint or much thought is sure to do much more damage and it is much much easier to be that "babbling fool". And I tend to think and speak quickly. I am also not as sensitive and observant as I should be at this ripe age of 40. Hence it is definitely more prudent and wise for me to delay speaking up. To think through carefully my choice of words. To do a silent prayer to God before speaking so the Spirit may guide my words. To take a breather before speaking to my children when they misbehave and when I am running out of patience.

How can I honor God with my speech?

That is the question of the week. Plenty of the Word to ponder and meditate over. Oh Lord, please guide me in my pursue of self control over my speech. May I slow down and approach your throne before giving in to my desire to unload what is on my mind. May I remember how powerful our speech can and help me Lord to build people up instead of setting forests on fire. Help me Lord to discern if the audience is ready to listen to advice or if they just want a listening ear. Let me be a good listener as well as a careful speaker. Dear Lord, as I approach this this week, may i do everything out of the remembrance of Jesus grace to me and that sweet salvation I enjoy because of His sacrifice. May that be the foundation and motivation of whatever I do. May i act out of the abundance of the grace that is lavished upon me and that I can be gracious to others because I was so graciously dealt. Help me and guide me Lord.  

0 comments:

About This Blog

The place to pen down my Journey of becoming, correction, Being a Mrs.

The ups and downs of building a home together with my loving half.

A venue to indulge in my thoughts which otherwise will bore some poor friend to death.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP