Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Dang Bridal and her amazing cheongsums

** Update! Pre-wed photos of Dang's Cheongsum here. And actual day photos here

When I was researching on the wedding dress style, advised by a kind colleague, I chanced upon Grace Kelly bridal gown. I just can't get over how modern she looked despite her wedding was in Year 1956!!


This is no ordinary wedding dress. You need a proportionate head to body ratio, thin chest with enough boobs to give just the appropriate curves, flattering trim upper arms and last but not least, an incredible face to pull off the look with all those laces. Words can't describe my admiration and awe for her beauty.

For those who love vintage wedding fashion, fashion-era is a good website to visit. It gives the low-down of  wedding fashion through the different decades. It was there I found Grace Kelly Wedding photos and the start of an intensive search around the net for the best close up shot of her gown.

Anyhow, when I saw Dang's Cheongsum it reminded me abit of Grace Kelly's dress. They are very different for obvious reasons; one is classic angmo style and the other oriental. But they are both traditional, high collared, made almost entirely of lace and had the combination of being conservative yet subtly sexy at the same time. I fell in love with Dang's style immediately.

Dang's cheongsum is made to fit skin tight which is not easy when u are dealing with delicate lace. It wraps snugly around the body just right so there will be no unsightly bulge. I especially like the way she constructed the chest and shoulder area to get that seamless 贴身effect which is typical of classic cheongsum. Check out Maggie Cheung in her fabulous cheongsum get up:

 


*drool* Only Magnificent Maggie can pull off the high collar cheongsum look. And check out that body.. *further drool*


Okay back to the topic. I kept reminding myself to take picture of the cheongsum fittings, and for the life of me, I just could not remember to do so each time. So we will have to make do with these photos:


Close up of the gorgeous lace appliques:
 

I opted for her MTM for rent services and for those not familiar to the bridal world of abbreviations it means Made To Measure wedding gown which you will return to the bridal shop (on rental basis). I tried on her flagship cheongsum in orange which was on the mannequin in my first post here. Dang proposed a reversal of the colors: turquoise against orange. I had no clue what I wanted and was more than happy to let someone make the decision for me. 

For those interested in Cheongsum please please please drop by for a visit at Dang's shop. Full lace, half lace, half modern half oriental, with sleeves, without sleeves, short, long, long with train, you name it she has it. The one thing to note is that she does not do bare back or sexy-show-skin modern cheongsum. She is quite adament on more traditional cutting for cheongsums.

I can't wait to see the pre-wed photos and would definitely load them up here the moment I get them!

4 comments:

kiya-and-louie June 14, 2010 at 3:18 AM  

Hi,

That is a lovely, oh so lovely and beautiful cheong sam. It really is. I'm just staring at your blue cheongsam in wonder!

Where is Dang? Can you give me the address?

I've always wanted a cheongsam for my wedding - I don't want those long train gowns with sequins and all - I just want a cheongsam :)

Lin June 14, 2010 at 6:17 AM  

Glad you like it too! Isn't Dang amazing to come up with a CS liked that!??

You can visit her website at http://www.dangbridal.com.sg/index.htm for the full address. She is working from a SOHO office at The Central so strictly by appt. Go down and check out her gowns. My CS is probably hanging somewhere there now. :)

kiya-and-louie June 14, 2010 at 7:45 AM  

ok I've read more of your blog and looked at dang's website. all I can say.. is wow. really beautiful gowns she has got there, and you've got great taste (I mean, hardcore fans of Grace Kelly = fantastic taste), heh. and you look fabulous in your cheongsam, really really. I don't give out compliments easily, and this is not me being polite! I mean, there are cheongsams, and then there ARE cheongsams. yours is the latter.

may I ask if it was expensive for rental of a MTM cheongsam?

Lin June 14, 2010 at 8:22 AM  

THANK YOU! for the lovely comments.. :_)

She tailored a package for me so even though I still had to top up for the additional lace applique, it was a "capped" top up.

More expensive than the usual tanjong pagar bridal shops for sure.. the usual $3k to $4k -ish price tag but WITHOUT the pre-wed photos..

About This Blog

The place to pen down my Journey of becoming, correction, Being a Mrs.

The ups and downs of building a home together with my loving half.

A venue to indulge in my thoughts which otherwise will bore some poor friend to death.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP