Saturday, January 23, 2010

Food Glorious Food

Thanks to Xiaolin who quickly drew up the list of Must-Eat in Hong Kong island, my trip was saved from being totally disastrous.

I tried my hand at the digital macro function of my Canon Ixus and with abit of photo editing, I hope you get some glimpse of the reasons of my ecstasy with Hong Kong cuisine.

First dinner was at Oyster C. Came highly recommended and a quick search around the internet proves it to be a favorite among the locals. And it was the most satisfying meal I had in Hong Kong.

As per the name, it specializes on oysters and seafood. With clear instruction from XL, I took order of oysters, uni (sea urchin) sashimi, foe gras apple wrap and their truffle seafood spaghetti.

Address: 98-104 Hing Fat Street, Tin Hau (short walk from Tin Hau MTR)

Tel: 852 2834 7748 (best to make reservation)


Uni Sashimi. Freshest and creamiest I have ever eaten. DOUBLE Thumbs up!

Foie gras apple wrap. Very interesting combination as I would never think apple goes with Foe gras. It does but pity on the portion of foe gras.


The truffle elevated the dish to a whole different level from the mediocre world of spaghetti. The portion was generous and being cream based, got abit je lat and had to forego half the plate.

It is definitely not a cheap meal. Probably at S$60-S$80 per pax. But trust me, the money is well worth it.

Breakfast was at Tsui Wah restaurant (翠華餐廳) and I love their buns. We marveled at the crispness which was done just right so it was fluffy with the right crunch. Drizzled with the copious butter and condensed milk, it was the highlight of our morning breakfast. The rest of the set was moderately satisfying. Nothing spectacular.

Simple Ham and abalone macaroni. It is... well, simple.

The condensed milk and butter drenched bun. *drool*

My must have for breakfast in HK. Satay beef instant noodle. MSG laden but oh so good.

Salted vege and pork noodle. Better than we expected. But nothing to wow over.

There is a porridge place near our hotel which we had dinner the 2nd night. There is something very comforting eating hot porridge on the freezing night. Mum had century egg porridge cooked to perfection and my oyster porridge was choked full of fresh oysters. Enjoyable but nothing to shout about.



I took my mum to Hang Fa Lau (杏花楼) to try out my favorite dessert  双皮奶 Double skinned milk.
I love the rich milk fragrance and creamy texture of the pudding. You need to like dairy to love this dish.

Due to my deliberate attempt to pace out the star restaurants Xiaolin highlighted (you should see the stars in her eyes when she talk about HK food!), I missed out on Che's Cantonese Restaurant, Yung Kee Restaurant and the Fatt Kei Dessert shop. Sigh.. next time..

0 comments:

About This Blog

The place to pen down my Journey of becoming, correction, Being a Mrs.

The ups and downs of building a home together with my loving half.

A venue to indulge in my thoughts which otherwise will bore some poor friend to death.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP