Thursday, December 30, 2010

Goodbye 2010 and Hello 2011!!

My google reader is flooded with posts after posts of Yr2010 reminiscences from my favorite bloggers.

So let me do a review of my 2010 too.

Too often this year I got people coming up to me, patting me on the shoulder to sympathize on what a bad year it has been for me. And in the midst of the grieving for beloved Ah Yi or battling with my hormonal acne, insomnia nights and recurring UTI, I agreed with my sympathizers. I never had so much pain in a year. Both physically and emotionally.

But interestingly, for every pain I experienced, kindness and goodness came along as well. I know I risk sounding patronizing, but looking back on the year, my blessings are as plentiful as my trials.

When I heard the bad news about Ah Yi, barely landed in Heathrow airport, my heart broke to pieces. I felt so helpless being halfway across the globe from my devastated husband. I went through customs in a daze only to find myself sobbing in the arms of a complete stranger, Yim’s father in law, who came to fetch me. And in the next few days, I never experienced more meticulous care and unconditional kindness from Yim’s in laws. It is one of my greatest regret to miss Yim's wedding but I am comforted that she has definitely married the right man and family.

My continuous bouts of health problems tore me apart through the year. Though the pain is hardly comparable to patients lying in hospitals, but trust me, I got more than a hint of how torturing it can be on your soul. And to your loved ones around. I was definitely not in the sweetest temper, yet, Yong stood by me, in his usual quiet nature. I finally understand and appreciate the meaning of "strong and silent".

It was a rude wake up call to start paying attention to my health. I started reading Chinese medicine books fervently. Watched my diet closely and came to realize how “poisonous” chilli and coffee is to me. And the fact that I love my seafood way too much.

With this new sense of alertness, I started to care more for my parents and Yong’s health. I became more sympathetic to my mum’s regular complaints of aches and pain due to aging. Though I was half forced to a health supplement talk by my darling beautician, Joy, I stayed through and were interested to know more. I would not be caught dead doing that when brimming with health in my younger days. So again, the blessings in disguise.

Lastly, my greatest blessing was that I came to know Christ this year. Half shoved into it by Joy again! Ha! Joy’s nagging is liked my mum’s. Irritating but I still listen and follow. (-_-;) Things were happening in ways I could not comprehend nor control. I needed faith. With Joy’s constant ‘preaching’ and a close friend’s jioing, I started going to Church. I am not exactly sure why and how, but I can’t deny that I am happier these days. More ready to let go and well, let god. And I finally understood the long queue outside The Rock @ Suntec every Sunday.

2010 has been a year of roller-coaster rides with the high of our wedding to the low of losing my mother in law. I have grown tremendously in dealing with pain and helplessness. I also grew into my new role as a Mrs, being a partner in everything with Yong. At the end of the day, I am thankful for the ordeals I have gone through.

So goodbye poignant 2010 and hello new 2011! I am excited with what is in store for me and what else I can learn and grow in the new year. Are you, my dear readers? With all my heart, I wish everyone a blessed 2011 and have a wonderful celebration over the long weekend!

Picture from Yurik86

Ps: The year ended with one more blessing: Yong is NOT going to Germany during CNY afterall. Hurray!! :))))

7 comments:

Z December 31, 2010 at 6:52 PM  

Happy New Year babe! I'm glad to have 'known' you, indirectly through Dang Bridal. I'm sure 2011 will be wonderful for you!

miss ene December 31, 2010 at 9:23 PM  

Hey Mrs Lim

I just wanted to say that you're not alone in the recurring UTI! And I thought I was the only sufferer. It's annoying, isn't it?! Did you manage to find 'the cure'? I'd be most appreciative if you have some tips to share.

miss ene (the other Mrs Lim)

Lin January 1, 2011 at 7:06 PM  

Thanks Z!! Happy new year to you too!

And the-other-Mrs-Lim unfortunately I am still struggling with it!! It is more than annoying for me! Simply unbearable. :( I am still in determined to find the "cure" and will definately let u know!!

miss ene January 2, 2011 at 2:07 AM  

Hi Lin,

I totally feel you. Yes, it is also more than annoying for me. I usually end up at the doctor's for antibiotics because I'd be doubled-over in pain. Do you take cranberry pills? I take the 10,000mg one daily but still get it. I'm at my wits' end. Boohoo.

Lin January 2, 2011 at 5:34 AM  

I tried to drink organic pure cranberry juice daily which btw is just GRoSS! Not really effective but will continue since it is great anti oxidant. :p
Have u tried citravescent? I hate taking antibiotics so as much as I can I will take citravescent instead. It is the only thing that helps right now. Can't take long term but it beats taking antibiotics.

miss ene January 15, 2011 at 9:03 PM  

Yes, I do take Citravescent and have 'em in BOXES at home. They should give me a bulk discount or something. Do you take it everyday or only when the 'feeling' starts? It only relieves but doesn't get rid of it. I've tried to take 2 packs at one time when the pain starts but usually, it's too late and I still have to pop the antibiotics. SIGH.

Lin January 17, 2011 at 6:32 AM  

Yeah I have a box at home too. Atrociously expensive though! I start taking it only when the "feeling" comes. And will continue taking full dosage till the symptoms go off. So far it has worked for me to avoid antibiotics. I also try to avoid alcohol, caffeine (coffee, tea, coke) as well as chilli, which are things that can contribute to UTI. If I take any of the above I will take water parade thereafter. So far so good. I am a month clean from antibiotics now. Crossing fingers.

About This Blog

The place to pen down my Journey of becoming, correction, Being a Mrs.

The ups and downs of building a home together with my loving half.

A venue to indulge in my thoughts which otherwise will bore some poor friend to death.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP