Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Thank god for design blogs!

Written August 26th 2009

I have been pre occupied with the house. Whenever I have some free time in the evening, or when inspiration strokes, I will pop by my new house by just walking over with a measuring tape. Bliss of staying near your parents.

Went through Renotalk religiously for tips and ideas and now settling for contractor instead of ID. ID are great but really expensive. Plus most of them are really contractor with template ideas. Those who are really designers are really beyond my budget.  Sigh.. guess it will really help if I get some lottery windfall now.

After weeks of researching around the internet, I developed a new obsession on design blogs. I consider myself quite an art idiot. Put me in Louve for an hour. Great! Put me in Louve for 3 hours.. I start wondering how many more penises I have to see. But interior design photography blew me away. Looking at those gorgeous photos calms me down and makes me really really happy.

Muji Model house - Muji has morphed into some Ikea-target-walmart kind of monster coporation. And their latest product is “Concept house”. They have created many “model houses” across Japan which includes the contruction of the entire house as well as the furnishing, houseware, furniture, fittings, etc. In other words, you buy the package, packed your suitcase and move in. Can’t get enough of the Muji style of home décor. Just can’t stop drooling over them.

Apartment Therapy - I dismissed this website previously as I was confused by the daily updated articles that includes DIY tips, and all kind of news. Impatient me did not like that and skipped the website, only to come back to it after exhausting the other website sources. Realised that I just need to click on “house tours” and Bingo! Here lies the archive. Not really applicable to Singapore flats but refreshing to see different style other than Singaporean all time favourite “modern comtemporary”. We are such homogenous society that after looking through local designer houses portfolio I concluded that all Singaporean likes to transform their kitchen to resemble their dream Ferarri Red Sportscar, likes shiny black and red complicated TV unit, likes chandliers so much I see them in bedrooms, kitchen, dining and even toilets… And being Singaporean, I have opted for *drumroll* - Modern comtemporary. Ha!

Home-Designing - Haven for cheapo home owners who does not want to buy useless expensive designer home décor books. Categorized home concept across different rooms, i.e. you can click on kitchen designs, and choose if you want to see scandinavian kitchen, red kitchen, yellow kitchen, French kitchen, country kitchen, blah blah.. Many of the designs are 3D drawings which means they are some imaginary wish concepts, not pratical but who cares..

Desire to Inspire - I heart heART HEART this blog. Look at it yourself and nuff said! I am going through desiretoinspire blogroll (other design blogs they dig) and adding on to my RSS feed list fanatically as I write.

Young House Love- Kou Tou to the two most hands on homeowners in US. They DIYed the transformation/renovation of their house and their before-after photos are AMAZING. How they do it?? Lovely blog. Fresh writings. Wonderful DIY tips. Thumbs up!

There are many more but the above are the cream of the crops. I have to read them everyday if not I will feel ..... incomplete? Hope you like them too!

0 comments:

About This Blog

The place to pen down my Journey of becoming, correction, Being a Mrs.

The ups and downs of building a home together with my loving half.

A venue to indulge in my thoughts which otherwise will bore some poor friend to death.

  © Free Blogger Templates 'Photoblog II' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP